At Four Seasons, we are all about being green! Lots of businesses talk about what they’re doing to help the environment, but as a business in the “green” industry, we believe that we should grow green, not just talk green. Here’s what we’ve done and will continue to do to be good stewards of our environment, community, and our planet:
1. In the past several years, we’ve torn all of the 24 year old fiberglass off of both the greenhouses and retail areas in two phases, and replaced it with new, double and triple walled polycarbonate sheeting. This eliminates any possible chemical hazards associated with fiberglass and decreases our demand for energy in the winter months. Once Phase I of the project was completed in the fall of 2006, we decreased our demand for natural gas by 45%. Phase II was completed in November 2007 and our useage decreased again. We continue to replace smaller, older sections each year.
2. We installed a new, state of the art, energy efficient heating system that will also decrease our demand for energy, thereby conserving fuel. The new system is approximately 90% efficient..
3. We continue to recycle all pots, baskets, flats, and other plastics both that we use, and that others bring back to us. By recycling we can extend the life of a pot or flat by about 3-4 years. If you have used pots you’d like for us to recycle- just drop them off!
4. We are a good steward of our environment by recycling soda cans, cardboard and other recyclable materials throughout the garden center.
5. In 2011 we were certified as an Organic Grower by the State of Colorado. We do not now, nor have we ever used sprays or chemicals on our edible plants. This includes vegetables and herbs. The chemicals that we do use are low impact. We use no RUP’s- restricted use pesticides. We grow fresh produce for the community and state, year round.
6. We’ve replaced lights, especially many of the lights in our Christmas shop with LED lights which use up to 80-90% less energy.
7. We became certified by the National Wildlife Federation as a National Wildlife Habitat as part of our efforts to protect and care for our environment in conjunction with the gardens and grounds. You’ll see fox, eagles, skunks, geese and more wandering our grounds.
8. We’ve re-landscaped much of the property to be more environmentally friendly and water wise.
9. Four Seasons has produced a pamphlet, “Watering Responsibly” with tips, tricks, and helpful hints to maximize our most precious resource in our high, dry, desert climate.
10. We began producing and providing our own sunflower compost to home gardeners to help them enrich their landscaping, gardens, and lawns.
Winner of Empire Electric Association and The Cortez Area Chamber of Commerce’s 2007 Energy Efficiency Award.